Technical Artist (All Levels)
Toronto, ON, Canada
At Rockstar, we create the games we would want to play ourselves.
A career at Rockstar is about being part of a global team working on some of the most creatively rewarding, large-scale projects to be found in any entertainment medium. You would be welcomed to a friendly, inclusive environment where you can learn, and collaborate with some of the most talented people in the industry.
Rockstar Toronto is looking for a passionate and talented Technical Artist to help develop and support our titles.
This is a full-time permanent position based out of Rockstar’s unique game development studio in Oakville.
WHAT WE DO
- Bring innovation and resolution to technical problems and challenges throughout Art production, through the entire development cycle (across multiple platforms).Create and maintain tools that improve our Art creation/editing workflows.
- Provide general support for the Art team and document/share solutions and knowledge.
- Proactively use knowledge and experience to identify and solve problems before they affect the Art pipeline.
- Work closely with fellow Technical Artists as part of wider global team working on interconnected tools and systems.
- Collaborate and communicate with other departments (aside from the Art department) such as Tools and Runtime (Engine).
- This is a generalist Technical Artist role. The candidate could potentially be involved in a wide variety of technical tasks related to Art (Character, Exterior, Interior, Props, Weapons, Terrain, Vehicle and Vegetation).
- Note: This not a regular Artist position; the candidate won't be creating artwork.
- Create tools within 3DS Max/Houdini/Substance/Photoshop to support and push forward workflows across the various disciplines of Art.
- Write standalone tools/systems (in C#/WPF and/or Python) to connect various DCCs and in-house tools together into a cohesive Art pipeline.
- Create HDAs to help with procedural creation of artwork where possible.
- Develop our Automation systems and write new behaviour to support ongoing Art development across multiple projects.
- Push forward Technical Art processes and standards to improve our ability to deliver quality tools and pipelines; code building, CD/CI, unit testing.
- Write documentation for pipelines / tools created.
- Stay current with latest technologies and ongoing research in the field to help keep our Art tools and pipelines at the cutting edge.
- A relevant degree or professional experience in the game industry as a Technical Artist or similar / related position.
- In the absence of the above; videos or an online portfolio with relevant examples of your work will be required so we can assess your skillset.
- Strong coding/scripting skills (candidate may be asked to complete a test).
- Ability to write tools within DCC packages or standalone.
- Understanding of using DCC packages to create game art.
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to think outside the box.
- Comfortable working in an IDE and debugging.
- Strong communication, self-management, and organizational skills.
- Effective time management skills to meet deadlines and milestones.
Please note that these are desirable skills and are not required to apply for the position.
- Professional experience developing pipelines and creating tools.
- Art scripting/tool creation experience within 3DS Max, Houdini, Substance Painter.
- Experience with C# and .NET Core/Framework.
- Experience with Python(standalone or within the context of a relevant DCC).
- Experience programming C++plugins 3DS Max, Houdini or similar DCCs for art.
- Experience using source control software (i.e. Perforce, Git) and working on a code base collaboratively.
- Experience working with WPF, XAML, and the MVVM.
- Professional experience producing video game art / assets.
- Experience with QT(PySide/PyQt or C++) and Model/View pattern.
- Experience with NoSql (MongoDB/Elastic) or relational/Sql databases.
- Professional experience working and developing in a multi-platform, multi-project environment.
- Professional experience working in a large team spread across multiple locations and timezones.
- Experience using other game engines (e.g. Unreal/Unity or proprietary).
- Solid foundation in 3D math.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply with a CV and cover-letter demonstrating how you meet the criteria listed above. If we would like to move forward with your application, a Rockstar recruiter will reach out to you to explain next steps and guide you through the process.
Rockstar is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to hiring, promoting, and compensating employees based on their qualifications and demonstrated ability to perform job responsibilities.
If you’ve got the right skills for the job, we want to hear from you. We encourage applications from all suitable candidates regardless of age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, belief, or race.
Your application has been successfully submitted.