Blendshape Artist - Characters (All Levels
This job is no longer accepting applications.
At Rockstar Games we create the games we would want to play ourselves.
A career at Rockstar is about being part of a team working on some of the most creatively rewarding, large-scale projects to be found in any entertainment medium. You would be welcomed to a friendly, inclusive environment where you can learn and collaborate with some of the most talented people in the industry.
Rockstar Toronto is looking for enthusiastic and talented Blendshape Artists to join our dedicated Face team. This position requires an excellent understanding of current and emerging character creation technologies applied to facial rigging and animation as we continue to create memorable characters to populate our game worlds.
This is a full-time permanent position based out of Rockstar’s unique game development studio in Oakville, Toronto.
WHAT WE DO
- We work closely with Art Direction, Technical Art and Face Animation to push the boundaries of facial performance in our games, servicing narrative plot and broader game design goals and features.
- We have a deep knowledge of anatomy and Facial Action Coding System (FACS), sculpting assets and enhancing photogrammetry data in order to improve end results for both our character creation and animation pipelines.
- We help to drive and improve the flow of the photogrammetry pipeline - streamlining current processes and suggesting tool improvements, for both internal software and 3rd
- We pay acute attention to human face anatomy and have insane attention to detail for the subtle facial nuances driven by age, genetic background, lifestyle and personality inputs; specifically how this then translates to the musculature, fat and skin layers in motion for the face.
- Experience creating blendshapes as part of a multidisciplinary Research & Development team used in highly complex facial rigs for characters and creatures.
- Experience dealing with rigging and animation pipelines, not limited to game development, providing blendshape data and critical feedback to the team.
- Expertise and capability to focus on production-driven goals and requirements.
- 3D sculpting and art fundamentals experience as well as knowledge of photogrammetry processing and retopology pipelines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to guide and mentor other artists working in very large datasets.
- A comprehensive visual portfolio/samples showing a range of work relevant to the role.
- Skillful eye for 3D mesh topology and proven experience of industry standard sculpting software and photogrammetry-based pipelines.
- A deep understanding of FACS, and facial anatomy both muscle and skeleton.
- Advanced knowledge of industry standard software applications such as: Photoshop, 3DSMax/Maya, ZBrush, Topogun, Wrap3D etc.
- Self-motivated with excellent, friendly and effective communication skills within a global team setting.
- Ability to collaborate within other team disciplines – Technical, Animation and Production.
Please note that these are desirable skills and are not required to apply for the position.
- Experience with 4D data capture and handling pipelines.
- Experience with procedural asset content creation, using software such as Houdini.
- Experience with rigging and animation.
- Knowledge of advanced photogrammetry processing software such as Agisoft, Reality Capture, MeshLab, 3df Zephyr.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply with a resume and cover letter demonstrating how you meet the skills above. If we would like to move forward with your application, a Rockstar recruiter will reach out to you to explain next steps and guide you through the process.
Rockstar is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to hiring, promoting, and compensating employees based on their qualifications and demonstrated ability to perform job responsibilities.
If you’ve got the right skills for the job, we want to hear from you. We encourage applications from all suitable candidates regardless of age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, belief, or race.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Follow for updates on career opportunities at Rockstar Games in Bangalore, Boston, Edinburgh, Leeds, Lincoln, London, New York City, San Diego, and To...