Senior Gameplay Engineer - Treyarch
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Job Title: Senior Gameplay Engineer
Reporting To: Lead Weapons Engineer
Location: Santa Monica, CA or Vancouver, BC
Founded in 1996, Treyarch is an award-winning videogame studio, driven to create awesome games for the world to enjoy. It is an approach that has helped make the studio behind the Black Ops series an industry-leading developer. Call of Duty®: Black Ops, Call of Duty®: Black Ops II, Call of Duty®: Black Ops III and the studio’s most recent release, Call of Duty®: Black Ops 4, have all gone on to break industry records. Additionally, Treyarch is the birthplace of fan favorite, Call of Duty’s Zombies.
Working at Treyarch means having the opportunity to work on some of the biggest videogames in the industry, all within a culture that values individual talent and the teams that bring games to life. We provide our teams with the cutting-edge development tools needed to make their most ambitious plans a reality, allowing for rapid iteration and the ability to create the kinds of memorable gameplay moments that are ultimately shared by millions of fans around the world. We also embrace challenges, knowing that together, we can overcome anything…and hopefully inspire a few new game developers along the way.
We are looking for a talented engineer with a passion for gameplay and a critical eye for game design. As a Senior Gameplay Engineer, you will be working closely with our Design team to bring innovative game features to life.
A Gameplay Engineer should be excellent at rapidly prototyping ideas and is capable of quickly turning a design specification from paper into a usable game system for further iteration. A successful Senior Gameplay Engineer will have an “eye” for gameplay and a knack for understanding how to deliver exciting features that millions of fans are going to love. A Senior Gameplay Engineer should be able to get quickly familiarized with existing codebases and be able to write elegant, high performing extensible code that works well within a collaborative environment.
What you’ll be doing:
- Implement, debug and optimize major systems in C/C++ and other languages in the context of a large cross platform codebase
- Spearhead development of innovative gameplay experiences
- Contribute to game architecture and technical designs and postmortems
- Perform data and code analysis to identify improvement opportunities
- Provide mentorship to less experienced engineers
- Minimum 5 years of industry experience in a Gameplay Engineering or similar position
- Multiple shipped game titles for Senior level
- Proficiency in C/C++
- Proficiency in scripting language such Python, LUA or similar
- Advanced knowledge of algorithms and data structures
- Advanced optimization skills - code and data
- Advanced debugging skills - comfortable debugging optimized builds in multithreaded and cross platform (networking) context.
- Solid math skills – especially linear algebra and 3D vector math
- Game knowledge and an understanding of the design principles behind games
- Able to collaborate with other engineers as well as non-technical team members
- Ability to work well in a fluid, changing environment as creative challenges evolve
- B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- And most importantly, a passion for making games
- Advanced programming specialty, such as low level network programming, High Level Shader Language (HLSL), SSE assembly, etc
- Expertise and passion in one or more of the following areas: AI, User Interfaces, Animation, General Game-play
- Previously shipped AAA titles
Activision Blizzard, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATVI), is one of the world's largest and most successful interactive entertainment companies and is at the intersection of media, technology and entertainment. We are home to some of the most beloved entertainment franchises including Call of Duty®, World of Warcraft®, Overwatch®, Diablo®, Candy Crush™ and Bubble Witch™. Our combined entertainment network delights hundreds of millions of monthly active users in 196 countries, making us the largest gaming network on the planet!
Our ability to build immersive and innovate worlds is only enhanced by diverse teams working in an inclusive environment. We aspire to have a culture where everyone can thrive in order to connect and engage the world through epic entertainment. We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for ‘Every World’ - we’ve got our employees covered!
The videogame industry and therefore our business is fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.
Treyarch is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We create, provide, and host the online services behind some of the world's biggest game titles. The real challenges that we take on every day affect ...