Data Engineer - Level 3 (Remote) // Greater Toronto Area
This job is no longer accepting applications.
SSENSE, pronounced [es-uhns], is a Montreal-based fashion platform with global reach. Founded in 2003, SSENSE is pacing the vanguard of directional retail with a mix of luxury, streetwear, and avant-garde labels. We produce industry-leading original content and take pride in building our own technology solutions and systems from scratch. Our field of focus has grown beyond that of a typical e-commerce entity as we explore the nexus of content, commerce, and culture. Currently serving 150 countries, generating an average of 76 million monthly page views, and achieving high double digit annual growth since inception, SSENSE is becoming a cultural protagonist in its own right.
*This is a remote position within Canada
SSENSE is looking for a Data Engineer to join our rapidly growing technology team. The level 3 Data Engineer will join a squad and deepen their knowledge of software development and data pipelines. They will break down, with minimal guidance, large tasks into smaller, manageable steps to deliver complex tasks required for well-defined features of the Product roadmap. The ideal candidate will contribute to knowledge dissemination within the organization and participate in the recruiting and onboarding of new employees.
- Build, test and operate stable, scalable data pipelines that cleanse, structure and integrate disparate data sets into a readable and accessible format for end-user facing reports, data sciences and ad-hoc analyses
- Understand the high-level product roadmap and immediate features to be developed, contributing to high-level estimation and layout of the development sequences
- Complete complex development tasks with minimal guidance
- Constantly and actively contribute to pushing code to production with the objective of becoming a main contributor
- Review Pull Requests
- Write testable, efficient, and reusable code suitable for continuous integration and deployment, that respect best practices and SSENSE development standards
- Review Unified Modeling Language (UML) diagrams and technical documentation, ensuring its quality
Ownership and accountability:
- Be accountable for code quality and conduct adequate testing
- Review and contribute to technical documentation
- Knowledge sharing and coaching
- Join SSENSE University (the internal peer learning platform) sessions to ramp up on various technologies and host at least two sessions per year
- Lead the onboarding of new data engineers
- Contribute actively to the design of the solution, challenging other members on technical decisions
- Help more junior Data Engineers understand the technical design so they can write documentation for the rest of the team
- Participate in HR recruiting events, helping to identify and recruit top tech talent
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical field
- A minimum of 3 years of Object Oriented Programming (OOP) and/or functional programming experience
- Knowledge of Apache Spark for big data processing
- Knowledge of Python programming language
- Knowledge of the data modelling concepts and ability to define the architecture with minimal guidance to develop a complex microservice
- Familiar with various database systems and able to write complex queries independently
- Knowledge of cloud concepts and the ability to follow instructions to use them with minimal guidance
- Knowledge of the AWS services (Glue, Athena, S3, Databricks, etc.) and Apache Airflow, an asset
- Proficiency in Git
- Strong English written and verbal communication skills, French is an asset
- Fast learner and detail oriented
- Solution-oriented mindset and can-do attitude to overcome challenges
- Team player with a high sense of accountability and ownership
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and master frequently changing technologies and techniques
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Luxury fashion tech leader and cultural resource.