Embedded Software Developer
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Who we are:
Semios is a market leader in leveraging the internet-of-things (IoT) and big data to improve the sustainability and profitability of specialty crops. With 500 million data points being reported by our sensors every day, we leverage our big data analytics, such as in-depth pest and disease modeling, to empower tree fruit and tree nut growers with decision-making tools to minimize resources and risks.
Our innovative work has received several industry awards:
- THRIVE - Top 50 Leading AgTech (2020) – recognized as exemplifying some of the best in agriculture technology around the globe.
- Global CleanTech Top 100 (2020) – identified as one of the companies best positioned to solve tomorrow’s clean technology challenges.
- Google Accelerator (2020) - Selected as 1 of 9 companies for the inaugural Google for Startups Accelerator Canada cohort, who are all using technology to solve complex challenges.
One of our partners produced this short video which shows what we do and our positive environmental impact.
We know our journey is only achievable by having a great team who shares ideas, tries new things and learns as we go.
Who you are:
Motivated by meaningful work, you are looking for more than just a job; you want to work for a dynamic, growing company that finds solutions to real-life problems, such as helping the world reduce the use of pesticides and helping nature feed a growing population. Your ideal work environment includes a collaborative team spirit with the opportunity to learn and grow as you take the initiative to try new things.
As an Embedded Software Developer, your key areas of responsibility will be implementing new logic into the device firmware, programming primarily in C, interfacing with GPS, Modem, Accelerometer, Environmental Sensors and more. Part of this role includes utilizing Semios’ big data environment to analyze the effectiveness of changes implemented and to help troubleshoot and find issues. You will work closely with your colleagues on the Embedded Team, as well as Data Engineering, Internal Applications, Field Services and key leadership stakeholders.
What you will do:
- Design and develop firmware for the next generation of Semios IoT Devices based on your experience and knowledge while incorporating the lessons learned and hands-on experience of our current team
- Provide insight and assistance to hardware engineers when debugging and solving issues with the newly developed hardware
- Evaluate current and new sensors and ensure we are getting correct data sent from our devices into Cloud services
- Develop an understanding of the device firmware and how all the modules work
- Perform quality assurance by doing peer code reviews, ensuring coding standards are followed and looking for logic errors and other bugs
- Keep up-to-date documentation for all your areas of responsibility
- Work closely with colleagues to triage and debug customer issues
We want you to succeed, so you will need:
- Degree in Electrical, Mechatronics, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or a Technology Diploma with relevant industry experience
- 5+ years of experience in the following areas:
- Knowledge of Embedded Development with C Programming Language and a Real Time OS.
- Script programming using Python and Bash
- Knowledge of Hardware communication buses and protocols (I2C,SPI RS-232, RS-485, USB)
- Knowledge of various network, web and IoT standards and protocols (TCP/IP, MQTT, NB-IoT, LoRa, LTE/Cellular, etc.)
- Experience using Git for source control
- Experience with software development life cycles
- An ability to work in a fast-paced team-oriented environment
- Excellent problem solving with systematic debugging skills
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Well organized, methodical, detail oriented with excellent analytical skills
Nice to have:
- Experience with User/Kernel space Linux programming
- Experience with environmental sensors
- Experience with IoT devices and Cloud platforms
- Experience with power measurement/profiling on battery operated devices
- Experience in security encryptions/protocols
Why this is the opportunity for you:
- Sleep better knowing you're making the world a better place through more sustainable food production
- Work with a team that values fun, laughter, and each other
- Have a lasting impact as you help to build a company
- Learn a lot along the way!
Your application has been successfully submitted.