Director, Corporate Development
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Who we are:
Semios is a market leader in leveraging the internet-of-things (IoT) and big data to improve the sustainability and profitability of specialty crops. With 500 million data points being reported by our sensors every day, we leverage our big data analytics, such as in-depth pest and disease modeling, to empower tree fruit and tree nut growers with decision-making tools to minimize resources and risks.
Our innovative work has received several industry awards:
- THRIVE - Top 50 Leading AgTech (2020) – recognized as exemplifying some of the best in agriculture technology around the globe.
- Global CleanTech Top 100 (2020) – identified as one of the companies best positioned to solve tomorrow’s clean technology challenges.
- Google Accelerator (2020) - Selected as 1 of 9 companies for the inaugural Google for Startups Accelerator Canada cohort, who are all using technology to solve complex challenges.
One of our partners produced this short video which shows what we do and our positive environmental impact.
We know our journey is only achievable by having a great team who shares ideas, tries new things and learns as we go.
Who you are:
Motivated by meaningful work, you are looking for more than just a job; you want to work for a dynamic, growing company that finds solutions to real-life problems, such as helping the world reduce the use of pesticides and helping nature feed a growing population. Your ideal work environment includes a collaborative team spirit with the opportunity to learn and grow as you take the initiative to try new things.
In this newly created position, the Director, Corporate Development will be responsible for identifying, researching, modelling and evaluating potential strategic investment opportunities including Mergers, Acquisitions, Alliances and Strategic Partnerships. The successful candidate will orchestrate corporate development activities in partnership with the CEO and Leadership Team including target identification, deal evaluation, and post-merger integration.
The ideal candidate is someone who is inherently strategic, has honed interpersonal skills and has meticulous attention-to-detail. Prior M&A experience is critical and required. Knowledge of technology firm business models is also an asset. This is a great opportunity for someone who has either led or played a critical role within multiple M&A transactions.
What you will do:
- Drive future growth for the company through creative and disciplined acquisitions and partnerships
- Meet with complementary companies, evaluate new products & technologies, and map ecosystems
- Evaluate and prioritize investment opportunities including assessment of market potential, strategic fit, competitive landscape, and financial attractiveness;
- Keep abreast of changes in the industry, proactively identifying and assessing opportunities for Semios to accelerate achievement of corporate goals
- Conduct due diligence and create materials and recommendations for consideration by Leadership Team and Board
- Lead a small team working on related activities and evolve Corporate Development processes incorporating learnings from past transactions
- Provide transaction leadership including negotiating with external parties, project management, and integration planning in collaboration with internal stakeholders
- Develop, maintain and implement integration strategies and plans for each new relationship
We want you to succeed, so you will need:
Education & Experience
- Minimum 8 years relevant experience which could include financial analysis, financial modelling, corporate development, private equity, venture capital, investment banking, transaction consulting
- Degree in finance, business, law or other relevant field
- Experience leading and closing complex deals with values over $10M and ideally over $50M.
- Broad understanding of technical,, financial and commercial aspects of complex deals.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- This job is both strategic and tactical, and requires substantial leadership in evaluating and structuring deals.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills. Comfortable drafting documents and creating impactful decks, using business acumen and creativity
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with a variety of stakeholders and the ability to respond to stakeholder needs strategically and tactfully.
- Strong analytical skills including comfort with financial modelling and legal documents
- Ability to work in a highly flexible and fluid environment and maintain an objective approach at all times.
- Skilled at advocacy, influence, and persuasion, with the ability to convince others to act on information or recommendations based on compelling logic or common best interests.
- Self-starter with good organizational skills who can work both independently and as a member of a team.
Nice to have:
- Familiarity with Ag industry
- Experience with deals involving international organizations
Why this is the opportunity for you:
- Sleep better knowing you're making the world a better place through more sustainable food production
- Opportunity to learn and make an impact by working on projects of strategic importance to the company
- Grow with a company that is expanding rapidly
- Work with a team that values fun, laughter, and each other in collaborative and casual work environment
Your application has been successfully submitted.
#PrecisionAg platform for tree fruit, tree nut & vine crops. #IoT network and predictive analytics for pests, disease, frost & irrigation mgmt. #bigda...