Data/Cloud Engineering - People Lead
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Who we are
Semios is a market leader in leveraging the internet-of-things (IoT) and big data to improve the sustainability and profitability of specialty crops. With 500 million data points being reported by our sensors every day, we leverage our big data analytics, such as in-depth pest and disease modeling, to empower tree fruit and tree nut growers with decision-making tools to minimize resources and risks.
Our innovative work has received several industry awards:
- THRIVE - Top 50 Leading AgTech (2020) – recognized as exemplifying some of the best in agriculture technology around the globe.
- Global CleanTech Top 100 (2020) – identified as one of the companies best positioned to solve tomorrow’s clean technology challenges.
- Google Accelerator (2020) - Selected as 1 of 9 companies for the inaugural Google for Startups Accelerator Canada cohort, who are all using technology to solve complex challenges.
One of our partners produced this short video which shows what we do and our positive environmental impact.
We know our journey is only achievable by having a great team who shares ideas, tries new things and learns as we go.
Who you are:
Motivated by meaningful work, you are looking for more than just a job; you want to work for a dynamic, growing company that finds solutions to real-life problems, such as helping the world reduce the use of pesticides and helping nature feed a growing population. Your ideal work environment includes a collaborative team spirit with the opportunity to learn and grow as you take the initiative to try new things.
As the Data Engingeering People Lead at Semios you will support and work with a team that oversees the data that Semios uses to help farmers make data-driven decisions that enable efficient and environmentally sustainable practices. You will manage, coach, and lead a skilled and growing data infrastructure team that is enabling the use of Semios’ unique agriculture data to create value for farmers through actionable insights. You possess a combination of leadership, technical, and team-building skills. You are collaborative, a true team player that recognizes that leadership is about enabling those around you to do great things.
What you will do:
- Collaborate with senior leaders, product management, project management and other team leads to shape the data infrastructures team strategy and priorities
- Manage, direct, grow and coach a skilled Data Infrastructure team by
- Mentoring team members in problem-solving approaches, tools and best practices.
- Providing regular performance feedback to enable employee development and goal achievement
- Leading recruitment activities to hire the best talent
- Demonstrating and reinforcing Semios values
- Participate in Data Infrastructure Architecture design
- Partner with stakeholders to define and measure KPIs for the team
- Ensure a high level of operational excellence for data infrastructure and tools
- Advise stakeholders across the company on how to best leverage data infrastructure in their own workflows
We want you to succeed, so you will need:
- 3+ years of experience managing an Engineering team, ideally Data Engineering
- 5+ years of experience in data engineering and/or cloud infrastructure
- Degree or equivalent experience in Computer Science or Engineering
- Experience with developing cloud infrastructure that delivers value to customers and enables products in a commercial environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong presentation, written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Passion for data, tools, cloud-based infrastructure and staying up-to-date with industry trends and best practices
- Expert with relational databases and SQL.
- Expertise with at least one cloud computing platform (AWS, GCP, MS Azure, etc)
- High level of comfort with ambiguity, you enjoy figuring out what needs to be done and getting it done
Nice to have:
- Experience with agriculture or other similar biological data (i.e. enable analytics and products that leverage time series, geospatial, weather, yield, spray records, and other agricultural data).
- Experience with geospatial imagery and data tools like BigQuery, Grafana, Periscope and Tableau.
Why this is the opportunity for you
You enjoy solving meaningful and interesting real-life puzzles, plus you want:
- To sleep better knowing you're making the world a better place through more sustainable food production
- To work with a team that values fun, laughter, and each other
- To use the latest, and best, tech for the job
- A competitive salary and stock options
Your application has been successfully submitted.