Big Data Engineer
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Who we are:
Semios is a market leader in leveraging the internet-of-things (IoT) and big data to improve the sustainability and profitability of specialty crops. With 500 million data points being reported by our sensors every day, we leverage our big data analytics, such as in-depth pest and disease modeling, to empower tree fruit and tree nut growers with decision-making tools to minimize resources and risks.
Our innovative work has received several industry awards:
- THRIVE - Top 50 Leading AgTech (2020) – recognized as exemplifying some of the best in agriculture technology around the globe.
- Global CleanTech Top 100 (2020) – identified as one of the companies best positioned to solve tomorrow’s clean technology challenges.
- Google Accelerator (2020) - Selected as 1 of 9 companies for the inaugural Google for Startups Accelerator Canada cohort, who are all using technology to solve complex challenges.
One of our partners produced this short video which shows what we do and our positive environmental impact.
We know our journey is only achievable by having a great team who shares ideas, tries new things and learns as we go.
Who you are:
You are looking to make a difference, you want to know your work with big data has real world benefits. Plus you are excited to make your mark by driving the future of Semios’ data engineering approaches and infrastructure.
What you will do:
This is a growing team, so you will have a significant impact in handling Semios' data by developing scalable infrastructure to process data and integrate data-driven models in partnership with our data science team. You will use your knowledge of the latest cloud technologies, including AWS and GCP, to architect and implement the systems and tools to drive our data engineering forward. In addition, you will work with the data scientists to determine the most effective methods to access data and run models within required time frames.
We want you to succeed, so you will need:
In this rapidly developing field you have gained:
- In-depth experience with understanding, evaluating, and evolving existing structures to achieve more efficient and effective collection, storage, and access to big data
- At least two years experience in object oriented programming, and a fluency in Python and its data analytics ecosystem
- Hands-on experience with provisioning and developing on cloud platforms, particularly GCP or AWS
- A proven track record of mastering manual database-related tasks and building automation to create efficiencies
- A solid understanding of benchmarking and performance tuning
- Excellent troubleshooting skills to rapidly identify and resolve issues
- The ability to quickly evaluate new technologies, determine their suitability and to integrate the chosen tools into the environment effectively
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the talent to distill complex ideas to different audiences
- The ability to work autonomously within a team environment
Nice to have:
- Real world experience with container management system (e.g. Kubernetes) and SQL
- Experience with Google BigQuery
- Experience with dbt
- Advanced education in Big Data
Why this is the opportunity for you:
- Sleep better knowing you're making the world a better place through more sustainable food production
- Work with a team that values fun, laughter, and each other
- Have a lasting impact as you help to build a company
- Learn a lot along the way!
Your application has been successfully submitted.
#PrecisionAg platform for tree fruit, tree nut & vine crops. #IoT network and predictive analytics for pests, disease, frost & irrigation mgmt. #bigda...