Software Development Engineer
This job is no longer accepting applications.
WHAT IS A THINKING APE?
A Thinking Ape builds communities through mobile games with emergent social play and original IP. We released our first game in 2009 and have been profitable and growing every year since. We are a bottom-up driven company with small teams that have a big focus on ownership and data driven decision making. Our portfolio of games are growing. We are scaling our infrastructure and entering new markets to capitalize on this growth and bring our games to more players.
WHAT IS THE ROLE?
As a Software Development Engineer, you will be helping build our live mobile games, including Kingdoms of Heckfire, Party in my Dorm, and Kingdoms at War. You will work closely with artists and designers to grow our games from the population of a city to the population of an entire country. You will design services used by a large number of concurrent users, and implement scalable, reliable and maintainable technologies for both client and server. You will have a major impact on the end product, and will be involved in every aspect of its development. Millions of people will use what you create.
WHAT WILL YOU DO AS A SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER?
You will be responsible for implementing features, systems, and tools for our games in live operation. The game backends are built with a Django + MySQL server architecture, while the frontend clients are built using Unity or native iOS/Android depending on the product. You will also:
- Build entire features from front-end client code to back-end server support. Many of our engineers are full stack!
- Become involved in every aspect of product development, from design to implementation to playtests to metrics analysis.
- Create tools to automate and optimize processes across disciplines. These might be adding additional player management tools for our community team, data pipeline optimizations for our game designers, or even content pipelines for our art team.
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
The primary qualifications we’re looking for are:
- You are a tech generalist, a full stack engineer with the desire to work on both client and server side implementations of entire features.
- You communicate your thoughts and ideas clearly in code and in writing
- You have an interest in and play mobile gaming products.
Other qualifications that help are:
- You are familiar with building Unity-based mobile games.
- You have experience working on a live mobile product and a strong understanding of mobile application architecture and content pipelines.
- You are familiar with relational database design and structure.
WHILE EVERYONE ON OUR TEAM IS DIFFERENT, TO THRIVE HERE YOU SHOULD...
- Be self motivated, take pride in your work and enjoy huge amounts of ownership
- Set aside your ego and have wonderful arguments with your coworkers in order to create something better than any one person could individually
- Challenge your own assumptions and use data to make decisions whenever possible
- Be passionate about teaching others what you know and continuing your own growth every day
- Not be afraid to fail–you experiment and learn from your mistakes
WHAT'S IN IT FOR YOU
At ATA you’re offered a flexible, safe, inclusive environment in which you have the autonomy to do your best work, surrounded by a strong team and with the encouragement of supportive leadership that doesn’t just care what you’re doing, but how you’re doing. You’re trusted, respected, listened to, cared for and valued. You take on thought-provoking projects and tackle fun problems alongside people who are equally invested in making meaningful contributions and seeing new ideas come to life. You know how your work aligns with the company’s goals. Your career is given the space and resources to progress. You accomplish things that make you proud. You are compensated competitively, your health and wellbeing are top priorities and you enjoy plenty of perks. You build communities, take ownership, have wonderful arguments, let the best ideas win and keep growing. You don’t just work for ATA, you are an integral part of ATA.
OUR COMMITMENT TO INCLUSION
At ATA we build communities. But community extends beyond our players: it also encompasses our employees and candidates. We support diversity in the workplace and always strive for inclusion. Part of this is selfish; we believe we’ll make better decisions if we’re able to tap into a variety of different perspectives. But we also care that our employees and candidates feel valued and comfortable being themselves. Please consider applying even if you don't meet every qualification. Experience comes in many forms and we value adding diverse perspectives to our teams.
DISCOVER EVEN MORE
Check out our story to find out how we got to where we are today, and learn about our culture by following @athinkingape on social. You can also listen to Kenshi Arasaki, ATA CEO & Co-Founder, talk about what it’s like to work here.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We build communities. News, updates and musings from one of Canada’s Top Small and Medium Employers. For customer support contact us through in-game h...