Senior Data Analyst
Calgary, AB, Canada
Are you looking for an opportunity to apply your skills and talent to spark both innovation and positive social change? Symend is a rapidly growing fintech company that combines behavioral science with advanced AI, data, and analytics capabilities to enable companies to engage at-risk customers more effectively and humanely. By creating better ways to approach individuals with empathy and dignity at the time when they need it most, Symend’s employees are helping to transform the debt recovery industry and improve lives in North America and around the world.
- As a Senior Data Analyst, you will interact with client-facing business teams to learn and understand their needs, explore the data available, perform deep-dive analyses, propose improvements to the data models and write reports. You’ll wear different hats as you learn the business rules for our clients, clarify and document what you learn, write code (SQL, DAX, Power Query, etc.) and use tools (Excel, Power BI, etc.) to access and explore the data, and work closely with your business partners to present and explore your findings.
What you'll be doing:
- Interact with client-facing teams to support their analysis needs;
- Build results into Excels, Power BIs or Powerpoints and document the queries used to gather the results (documented in the JIRAs as well as in the delivered artifact so that it can be reproduced);
- Ensure your results go through a peer review process before being delivered to your audience;
- Iteratively improve your deliverables towards the goal of building something that can be consumed directly by our clients;
- Consider the operationalization / maintenance aspects of any analysis you perform;
- Work closely with the Analytics Platform team, because most of your data requirements will come from the models in that platform, and some of your work will be promoted back into the platform;
- Work closely with the Reporting COE team to ensure that your reports follow the standards and guidelines for usability;
- Properly document and validate the business rules that are being implemented;
- Properly comment any code you write so that it can be adopted by peers;
- For complex queries, start with workflow diagrams to help explain what the intended objective is and ensure the workflow is peer reviewed before engaging in development;
- Recognize and adopt best practices in reporting and analysis: data integrity, test design, analysis, validation, and documentation
- Continually improve ongoing reporting and analysis processes, automating or simplifying self-service support for customers
What you'll need:
- 5+ years of professional experience in data analytics, reports development, business analysis or comparable consumer analytics position
- Experience working with advanced SQL
- Experience with wrangling data in Excel, PowerBI, Tableau, R, SAS, Python
- Experience with building Power BI reports for business teams
- Experience in working with large datasets
- Experience in predictive analytics and statistics is considered an asset
- Experience applying advanced statistical techniques (i.e. hypothesis testing, control groups) is considered an asset
- Experience with Snowflake is considered an asset
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Finance, Information systems or related technical field
- Key Competencies:
- Excellent verbal/written communication and data presentation skills, including an ability to effectively communicate with both business and technical teams
- Effective in a small, multi-disciplined, fast-paced team environment.
- Have ability to consistently deliver results with quick turnaround. Strong spirit of innovation, self-starter, independent, and with ability to come up with solutions to meet business problems.
- Advanced working knowledge of data wrangling and data mining using SQL, Excel, Data Modeling, Power BI, Python, etc.
- Understanding of data warehousing and data modeling
- Proven problem-solving skills and attention to detail
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and competing objectives in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work with business owners to define key business questions and build data sets that answer those questions
- We could tell you all about our competitive compensation, flexible work environment, beer Fridays, and awesome team events, but working at Symend is so much more than that.
- Working at Symend means being part of a driven and collaborative team that values trust, accountability and continuous learning. We work hard, but always make time for fun!
- You get the chance to do work that matters on a product that truly changes lives
- You get unique opportunities to serve leading global businesses including Tier-1 telecom providers, major utility companies and Fortune 500 financial institutions
- You get to make history as we disrupt the debt recovery industry for the good and change the way companies engage with their clients
Ready to do something big?
Send us your resume and tell us why you’d be a fit for Symend.
Symend is transforming the debt recovery industry by treating individuals with empathy and dignity at the time when they need it most. Combining behavioral science with advanced AI, data, and analytics capabilities, Symend’s customer engagement platform enables service providers and financial institutions to develop positive, individualized treatment programs for their at-risk customers. By approaching past-due customers with both evidence-based insight and compassion, Symend’s clients experience higher cure rates and reduced costs while building long-term relationships with customers and lifelong value for their companies and brands. Symend: The science of engagement.™
Your application has been successfully submitted.