Calgary, AB, Canada
Are you looking for an opportunity to apply your skills and talent to spark both innovation and positive social change? Symend is a rapidly growing fintech company that combines behavioral science with advanced AI, data, and analytics capabilities to enable companies to engage at-risk customers more effectively and humanely. By creating better ways to approach individuals with empathy and dignity at the time when they need it most, Symend’s employees are helping to transform the debt recovery industry and improve lives in North America and around the world.
- A Data Architect develops and delivers long-term strategic goals for data architecture vision and standards in conjunction with fellow architects, program managers, development teams and other key stakeholders.
- The primary pattern of data movement at this time is batch ingestion (ETL, ELT and variants), but future design patterns will also include streaming, near-real-time and event-driven ingest patterns and will consider cloud MPP platforms (Synapse, Snowflake).
- This role is a good fit for you if:
- You want to get into a fast-paced organization that is accelerating its growth. Sales is outrunning our data engineering team and we need your help to catch up!
- You’re the kind of person that likes a good challenge, is ready to roll up your sleeves and dig into the problem and can provide guidance to fellow engineers to help make a positive difference.
- You take pride in the readable code you write, add comments to make sure others can follow it and you’re ready to step up to help when it goes sideways.
- You’re cool with inheriting architectures that you didn’t design, and taking guidance from fellow architects. You’re open minded that way.
- You appreciate the weekly mix of building solutions towards a roadmap alongside root cause analysis of problems as they arise.
- You understand the value of good design up front while avoiding analysis paralysis. You draft architecture diagrams, data models and artifacts to socialize your ideas and get alignment.
- You’re collaborative and you understand the value of clear and concise communication, ensuring your manager, your peers and your team are all aware of the challenges and solution options.
What you’ll be doing:
- Develops and delivers long-term strategic goals for data architecture vision and standards in conjunction with fellow architects, program managers, development teams and other key stakeholders;
- Creates short-term tactical solutions to achieve long-term objectives that contribute to the overall organization’s data architecture;
- Oversees and actively participates in solutioning of data-related problems
- Identifies and develops opportunities for data and application reuse, migration, or retirement;
- Drives the adoption of new data technologies by developing new initiatives and proof-of-concepts utilizing emerging technologies;
- Mentors, provides strong methodology leadership, and works closely with product, customer services and Engineering teams;
- Ensures that the data architectures and standards are being adhered to through architecture governance and quality assurance processes
- At any point in time you might wear the hat of (or draw experience from having been):
- A Software/Data Engineer
- A Business Analyst
- A System/Solution Architect (end-to-end thinking of a product or platform that serves an objective, including team/communication integrations across team lines, data flow integrations & hand-offs, process integrations & hand offs, and ongoing operational management)
What you'll need:
- 2+ years of broad experience in Azure cloud platform (ADF, AF, Logic Apps, streaming, Web API);
- 10+ years of hands-on experience as a software, data or integration developer in a SQL Server environment;
- Experience designing and implementing data architectures, data governance plans and data models that meet organization's needs and align with industry best practices
- Experience making decisions and recommendations on technically complex issues
- Hands-on experience in database development, advanced T-SQL programming, query optimization techniques, ETL development within SQL Server;
- Software development experience with C#, .NET would be a strong asset;
- Experience in cloud data warehouse technologies (e.g. Snowflake, Synapse) would be an asset;
- Experience with tabular models, AAS and Power BI would be an asset;
- Experienced with Azure DevOps practices and patterns would be an asset;
- We could tell you all about our competitive compensation, flexible work environment, beer Fridays, and awesome team events, but working at Symend is so much more than that.
- Working at Symend means being part of a driven and collaborative team that values trust, accountability and continuous learning. We work hard, but always make time for fun!
- You get the chance to do work that matters on a product that truly changes lives
- You get unique opportunities to serve leading global businesses including Tier-1 telecom providers, major utility companies and Fortune 500 financial institutions
- You get to make history as we disrupt the debt recovery industry for the good and change the way companies engage with their clients All positions require background screening. This will include criminal and education checks to comply with regulations.
Ready to do something big?
Send us your resume and tell us why you’d be a fit for Symend.
Symend is transforming the debt recovery industry by treating individuals with empathy and dignity at the time when they need it most. Combining behavioral science with advanced AI, data, and analytics capabilities, Symend’s customer engagement platform enables service providers and financial institutions to develop positive, individualized treatment programs for their at-risk customers. By approaching past-due customers with both evidence-based insight and compassion, Symend’s clients experience higher cure rates and reduced costs while building long-term relationships with customers and lifelong value for their companies and brands. Symend: The science of engagement.™
Your application has been successfully submitted.