Cloud Data Engineer
Calgary, AB, Canada
Are you looking for an opportunity to apply your skills and talent to spark both innovation and positive social change? Symend is a rapidly growing fintech company that combines behavioral science with advanced AI, data, and analytics capabilities to enable companies to engage at-risk customers more effectively and humanely. By creating better ways to approach individuals with empathy and dignity at the time when they need it most, Symend’s employees are helping to transform the debt recovery industry and improve lives in North America and around the world.
This role is a good fit for you if:
- You want to get into a fast-paced organization that is growing incredibly fast. Sales is outrunning our data engineering team and we need your help to catch up!
- You’re the kind of person that likes a good challenge, is ready to roll up your sleeves and dig into the problem and can pump out some code that makes data dance for you.
- You take pride in the readable code you write, add comments to make sure others can follow it and you’re ready to step up to help when it goes sideways.
- You’re cool with inheriting code that you didn’t write. You empathize that someone in the history of this code had to balance their own constraints; it is what it is and you’re here to help make it better.
- You appreciate the weekly mix of building solutions towards a roadmap alongside root cause analysis of problems as they arise.
- You have a pod, so you don’t go it alone and you make sure your pod lead and your manager are aware of the issues that are cropping up and the approach you’re using to solve it.
- You have a very collaborative attitude and you want to learn as you go!
What you’ll be doing
- Build data ingest and propagation pipelines, including the SQL procs and Azure functions for transformations;
- Write unit tests and develop code that will pass the tests and can be understood by others;
- Perform code reviews and be comfortable with your code being reviewed by others;
- Adhere to the design standards that exist, and apply new design standards as they are produced;
- Perpetually look for areas of improvement with a focus on throughput speeds and automations;
- Perform root cause analyses on bugs and on long-running queries and stages in the data pipelines;
- Perform data mapping activities to describe source data, target data and the high-level or detailed transformations that need to occur;
- Treat the product team as partners, and support them by:
- only accepting work that is achievable in the sprint;
- informing them when an urgent request disrupts the sprint;
- Treat the QA team as partners, and support them by:
- Rigorously testing your own code;
- Identifying opportunities for test automation;
- Making yourself available to the QA team during release testing;
- Treat the Ops team as partners, and support them by:
- Providing high-level workflows on how a pipeline is meant to run;
- Using descriptive naming conventions that make it easy to follow the code;
- Treat the client-facing teams as your data customers, and support them by:
- Working with your team lead and manager to understand the challenges that they face;
- Realize that it’s okay to make mistakes, if:
- We learn from them, and
- We flag them and inform our team leads when they happen
What you'll need
- 2 years of experience in Azure cloud platform, Azure data factory and Azure data functions;
- 2 years of experience with agile sprints;
- 5 years of experience as an integration developer in a SQL Server environment with Visual Studio and git branching patterns;
- Experience with data modelling patterns (eg. ODS, Kimball, 3NF, DataVault, data virtualization);
- Experienced in database development, data modelling and administration skills with SQL Server;
- Experience in cloud data warehouse technologies (eg. Snowflake, Synapse) would be an asset;
- Experience with SSAS and Power BI would be an asset;
- Experience in python-based data development would be an asset;
- BSc/BA in Computer Science, Engineering or relevant field would be an asset.
- All positions require background screening. This will include criminal and education checks to comply with regulations.
- We could tell you all about our competitive compensation, flexible work environment, beer Fridays, and awesome team events, but working at Symend is so much more than that.
- Working at Symend means being part of a driven and collaborative team that values trust, accountability and continuous learning. We work hard, but always make time for fun!
- You get the chance to do work that matters on a product that truly changes lives
- You get unique opportunities to serve leading global businesses including Tier-1 telecom providers, major utility companies and Fortune 500 financial institutions
- You get to make history as we disrupt the debt recovery industry for the good and change the way companies engage with their clients
Ready to do something big?
Send us your resume and tell us why you’d be a fit for Symend.
Symend is transforming the debt recovery industry by treating individuals with empathy and dignity at the time when they need it most. Combining behavioral science with advanced AI, data, and analytics capabilities, Symend’s customer engagement platform enables service providers and financial institutions to develop positive, individualized treatment programs for their at-risk customers. By approaching past-due customers with both evidence-based insight and compassion, Symend’s clients experience higher cure rates and reduced costs while building long-term relationships with customers and lifelong value for their companies and brands. Symend: The science of engagement.™
Your application has been successfully submitted.