- Identify, diagnose, and resolve level two problems for users of the software and hardware, LAN and WAN, VPN, the Internet, mobile devices, and new computer technology; communicate solutions to end-users.
- Respond to more complex issues (second line support) escalated by the first line support using problem-solving skills and analysis to identify root causes of issues, determine course of action and propose creative solutions.
- Manage day-to-day operations and support of internal firewalls residing on-prem and in cloud.
- Manage day-to-day operations of telephony and PBX systems for provisioning and end-user support.
- Work closely with the Network and Telecom team to support upgrades to firewalls.
- Work with both the Network and Cyber teams to ensure access and identity controls are properly applied to new environments and infrastructure.
- Submit and execute upon Change Requests as applicable for the network.
- Automate where possible to increase efficiency of operations.
- Escalate priority support issues to senior staff and/or other corporate technology groups.
- Collect and document all relevant information prior to escalation to allow senior staff to operate efficiently
- Document, track and monitor problems to ensure timely resolution.
- Assist in tracking helpdesk calls pertaining to application, networking, and systems problems and issues.
- Assign username, password and access right permissions for multiple proprietary applications, as well as client software.
- Identity Management and multifactor authentication with integration between Active Directory and Linux platforms, and online SSO services.
- Perform hardware & software audits.
- Product research and evaluation.
- Provide emergency support on incidents as required.
- Perform occasional after-hours maintenance.
- Day-to-day operational support.
Education & Experience Required
- A Diploma or Degree in a relevant area of study with a preference for Computer Science together with demonstrated operational network-related experience.
- Minimum of 2 years in Information Technology (with a related University Degree) or minimum of 7 years in Information Technology (with a three-year College Diploma).
- Industry certifications such as MCSE, CISSP are a strong asset.
Specialized Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrated experience in configuring, support and operations of firewalls (e.g. Palo Alto, Fortinet, Cisco).
- Working technical knowledge of network systems.
- Working technical knowledge of current systems software, protocols and standards including Active Directory.
- Working technical knowledge of Microsoft Windows.
- Identity management using Microsoft Identity Manager and Azure AD Connect.
- Solid understanding of the Windows based endpoints.
- Solid scripting experience (e.g. Bash, PowerShell).
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Must be well organized and able to grasp system concepts and communicate their applications.
- Must be capable of quickly learning new systems and associated software applications for proficient execution of tasks.
- Ability to manage multiple demands with time related constraints in a fast-paced environment.
- Prioritize and schedule work as necessary to maintain department standards and service level agreements
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of internal employees, communicate technical information, create and deliver presentations and information sessions to both technical and nontechnical personnel.
- Demonstrated experience in applying technical expertise and in-depth evaluation to solve complex problems in own area of expertise.
- Ability to create and maintain documentation and training materials, including KB articles, for technical staff and end-user audiences.
- Linux experience is an asset.
- Bilingualism (English/French) is an asset.
Decision Making & Supervision
- Make decisions and recommendations within established procedures, based on troubleshooting and analysis.
- Manage network operating system and tooling upgrades.
- Coordination with helpdesk, network/telecom, platform, and security teams.
- Work under minimum supervision.
- Generally comfortable working conditions with lifting and onsite installations.
- Moderate visual concentration in use of video display terminal.
- Appropriate security clearances required.
- Occasional off-hours support may be required.
- Participation in group pager rotation (‘on call’).
At Telesat, we take pride in being an equal opportunity employer that values equality in the workplace. We are committed to providing the best candidate experience possible including any required accommodations at every stage of our interview process. All qualified applicants that have been selected for an interview that require accommodations, are advised to inform the Telesat Talent team accordingly. We will work with you to meet your needs. All accommodation information provided will be treated as confidential