Lightspeed Data Centre and Facilities Engineering Specialist
- Collect business requirements for various Lightspeed sub-systems and translate those requirements to develop a design to be implemented in on-premises datacenters.
- Own the design and layout of IT infrastructure within Telesat datacenter facilities including racking and asset management. Coordinate and manage the CMDB for all data centre assets.
- Design highly available server/storage clusters and provide recommendations and feedback to the project team for IT infrastructure based on software requirements.
- Collaborate with the Facilities teams to ensure that all Telesat requirements meet business needs, and to ensure that power and cooling are accurately specified to meet required specifications and availability.
- Manage and track all assets and rack layouts. Engage with established Change Management to ensure accountability and compliance are tracked.
- Implement and collaborate with stakeholders to ensure that all physical and virtual access to assets are secured and follow appropriate security processes and standards.
- Engage with the Network teams to ensure both LAN and WAN connectivity meet availability and bandwidth requirements. Work with the Network & Telecom team to ensure internal premise wiring and wireless infrastructure is supported and monitored.
- Deployment of new server, storage and network infrastructure as required. This includes the racking and stacking, and initial configuration of hardware.
- Connection and testing of rack power and network cabling.
- Deployment of server infrastructure including hypervisors and connected datastores. Configuration of server and storage network parameters.
- Work with the local Facilities team to help set up an office environment. This includes evaluation of proposed desk layouts and coordination with external contractors for the installation of the premise network wiring and wireless access points. Help coordinate the installation of IT infrastructure in meeting rooms between teams and external contractors.
- Document, track, and monitor problems to ensure timely resolution.
- Document operating processes, runbooks and build books for data centre operations.
- Installation and customization of operating systems and tools to support the business.
- Assist in audits and forensics on artifacts collected during security incidents.
- Perform occasional after-hours maintenance on production systems.
- Incident on-call rotation as required.
- Day-to-day operational support.
Education and Experience Required
- A Diploma or Degree in a relevant area of study with a preference for Computer Science together with demonstrated operational network-related experience.
- Minimum of 4 years in supporting Development teams in an Engineering environment.
- Industry certifications in VMware, Windows and/or Linux would be an asset.
- Certifications in ITIL would be an asset.
Specialized Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Significant experience with supporting IT datacentre operations and managing day-day datacentre operations.
- Significant experience with datacentre design and operations principles.
- Experience in the deployment and support of Linux and Microsoft Windows.
- Experience in managing rack layouts, connectivity, and datacentre assets.
- Experience and technical knowledge of network systems and protocols.
- Experience in the support and operations of firewalls and switches, as well as datacentre network connectivity and wiring.
- Experience in scripting (e.g., PowerShell, bash).
- Working technical knowledge of systems software, and standards including Active Directory.
- Working knowledge of security principles and securing systems.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of internal employees, communicate technical information, create, and deliver presentations and information sessions to both technical and nontechnical personnel.
- Demonstrated experience in applying technical expertise and in-depth evaluation to solve complex problems in own area of expertise.
- Bilingual (English/French) is an asset
Decision Making and Supervision
- Make decisions and recommendations based on Lightspeed project requirements within scope.
- Coordination with Facilities, Servicedesk, Network & Telecom, Platform, and Security teams.
- Work under minimum supervision.
- Generally comfortable working conditions with lifting and onsite installations.
- Lifting and moving of IT equipment.
- Occasional travel within Ontario/Quebec may be required from time to time (15%).
- Moderate visual concentration in use of video display terminal.
- Appropriate security clearances required.
- Occasional off-hours support may be required.
- Participation in group pager rotation (‘on call’) as required.
The successful candidate must be able to work in Canada and obtain clearance under the Canadian Controlled Goods program (CGP) as well as a Canadian Government Secret Security clearance.
At Telesat, we take pride in being an equal opportunity employer that values equality in the workplace. We are committed to providing the best candidate experience possible including any required accommodations at every stage of our interview process. All qualified applicants that have been selected for an interview that require accommodations, are advised to inform the Telesat Talent team accordingly. We will work with you to meet your needs. All accommodation information provided will be treated as confidential.