Software Engineering Manager
This job is no longer accepting applications.
ApplyBoard is an online platform that empowers students around the world to access the best education. Founded in 2015, ApplyBoard has grown to become the world’s largest online platform for international student recruitment, assisting more than 100,000 students with their educational journey.
By connecting international students, recruitment partners, and educational institutions, we simplify the study abroad search, application, and acceptance process through our platform and services. To date, we have built partnerships with 1,200+ educational institutions in Canada, the United States, and the United Kingdom, and 4,000+ recruitment partners around the world. In 2019, ApplyBoard was named the fastest-growing technology company in Canada by Deloitte, ranking #1 on the Technology Fast 50™ list.
In May 2020, the company announced it successfully raised C$100M Series C funding on a C$2B valuation, reaching a ‘Unicorn’ valuation, allowing us to invest heavily in our technology, growing our team, and serving more customers.
Our team of over 500+ ApplyBoardians (and growing!) is just as diverse as the customers we support. Comprising 27 nationalities, 53 languages spoken, and 50/50 gender parity, diversity is fostered and celebrated on our team. The ApplyBoard headquarters is located in Kitchener, ON Canada, with representatives in 20 countries including India, Bangladesh, Nepal, Pakistan, Vietnam, the Philippines, the United Kingdom, Mexico, Brazil, and China.
We are looking for an experienced Software Engineering Manager to join our growing Software Development team and help take our company and platform to the next level!
- Meet business needs by managing the activities of engineers, consistently delivering quality solutions
- Work with internal customers to gather business processes and project requirements.
- Actively drives the development life-cycle from requirements analysis, feasibility estimates, architectural design, development, implementation, and operational support.
- Work closely with Product Management partners in developing project plans, resource planning, scheduling and managing development timelines
- Building and managing multi-disciplined software team and overseeing the development processes using industry best practices
- Responsible for design reviews, code reviews, and mentoring the software engineering team
- Work closely with the Talent Acquisition team and hiring managers to hire world-class talent
- Manage multiple tasks and responsibilities in high-pressure environments; excelling at pinpointing and resolving problems in early project stages to avoid cost/time expenses
- Plan and participate in community meetups, fireside chats, info sessions, tech and recruiting events, etc,
- Minimum of 10+ years of work experience in software development
- Min. of 4+ years in a leadership role within software development (Engineering Manager level equivalent or higher)
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- Proficiency with agile methodologies, software development tools, and best practices
- Strong experiential knowledge of development in an environment utilizing TDD and CI/CD.
- Knowledge of Object-Oriented Design, data structures, algorithm design, and complexity analysis
- Experience in defining and executing professional software engineering best practices for the full software development life cycleProficiency in Event-Driven and Service-Oriented Architecture
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills; ability to use hard data and metrics to back up assumptions, recommendations, and drive actions
- Strengths in problem-solving, issue resolution, ability to work in a deadline-driven work environment, attention to detail, and ability to multitask
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with a demonstrated experience engaging and influencing peers and executives
- Demonstrated ability to understand and discuss technical concepts, manage trade-offs and evaluate opportunistic new ideas with internal and external partners
- Demonstrated ability to work with business, legal, engineering, design, and other stakeholders to deliver products/services
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) skills
- A strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive
- A strong leader, mentor, and people managerTrack record of data-driven decisions
What We Offer:
- The opportunity to have an impact on a product that is positively affecting change to thousands of students lives every day
- Working alongside a brilliant and globally diverse team that is the fastest growing in the Waterloo region
- Great compensation and benefits package to keep you healthy and happy!
- Thank you for your interest in ApplyBoard, however, only those applicants that have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
- At ApplyBoard, we understand the value of having a diverse team. That’s why we believe in providing equal opportunity regardless of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, genetic characteristics, disability, and conviction. Please let us know if you require accommodation during the recruitment process.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
On a mission to educate the world by making education accessible.