Sr. Software Engineer, Data
United States Remote
Slack is looking for expert data engineers to join our Insights product team. You will be working cross-functionally with product management, design, business domain experts, analytics, and engineering teams to build insights products for Slack’s customers. In this role you will design, implement and scale data pipelines that transform billions of records into actionable data models that enable data insights products.
You have deep technical skills, be comfortable contributing to a nascent data ecosystem, and building a strong data foundation for the company. You are a self-starter, detail and quality oriented, and passionate about having a huge impact at Slack.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
What you will be doing
- Translate business requirements into data models that are easy to understand and used by different disciplines across the company
- Design, implement and build pipelines that deliver data with measurable quality under the SLA
- Partner with product management, business domain experts, data analysts and engineering teams to build data sets used to power insights products for Slack customers
- Own and document foundational company metrics with a clear definition and data lineage
- Identify, document and promote best practices
- Be a champion of the overall strategy for data governance, security, privacy, quality and retention that will satisfy business policies and requirements
What you should have
- 5+ years of experience working in data architecture, data modeling, master data management, metadata management
- Recent accomplishments working with relational as well as NoSQL data stores, methods and approaches (logging, columnar, star and snowflake, dimensional modeling)
- Proven track record in scaling and optimizing schemas, performance tuning SQL and ETL pipelines in OLAP and Data Warehouse environments
- Demonstrated skills with either Python or Java programming language
- Familiar with data governance frameworks, SDLC, and Agile methodology
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills, and ability to effectively collaborate with technical and business partners
- Hands-on experience with Big Data technologies (e.g Hadoop, Hive, Spark) is a big plus
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.
Your application has been successfully submitted.